Sunday, March 18, 2012

Coconut-Grapefruit Oatmeal with Pineapple

I bought a pineapple for the first time (ever) this week. I've always feared them, so the few times I've needed pineapple, I just bought the frozen stuff (I hate canned pineapple).

I had to Google how to cut one, but I found it much easier to deal with than a mango! And oh, so delicious! I want to bring some to school for lunch on Monday, and I'm having a hard time keeping my fingers out of it this weekend. I may only have a few tidbits to enjoy by tomorrow! ;)

Anyway, when I purchased it, I immediately thought of oatmeal. What concoction could I come up with??

So without further ado, I give you:


Oats cooked in coconut milk with grapefruit segments, and topped with fresh pineapple and shredded coconut. As if I didn't love my regular grapefruit oatmeal enough as it is, this combination really blew me away. The pineapple was divine, and it sweetened up the bitter grapefruit. Plus, pineapple and coconut is one of my favorite flavor combinations! Hurray!


Here's what I did:

1. Begin preparing the oatmeal like you would for my regular grapefruit oatmeal. For this recipe, I used a full cup of coconut milk.

2. When it comes to flavorings, I wasn't quite sure what to add. So, I kind of experimented: cinnamon, ginger, and poppy seed. Yes, poppy seed. I know that sounds like an odd combination, but you know what? It worked. Go ahead and do what you think is best here. I'm not exactly an expert at tropical food, so... :)

3. When finished, top with fresh pineapple chunks, shredded coconut, and another splash of (coconut) milk.


Soooooooooo delicious!!

**You can check out my other oatmeal recipes here, or by clicking the oatmeal tag. You can also find dozens of other oatmeal recipes on my Pinterest board (along with tons of other meatless recipes!). Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Oh geez, Lauren. Just when I was about to write a blog about my current (and expensive!) obsession with fresh pineapple! I bought one yesterday and ate a quarter of it. I have the rest waiting for dessert, but I was already thinking I wanted to put it in oatmeal, and also in all my smoothie, and also I'm making a homemade pineapple pizza this week and I looked up other pineapple recipes. WHY IS IT SO GOOD? I bought two pineapples last week too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No joke: some people stress eat potato chips...I stress eat entire pineapples.

    Neither is particularly good on your stomach, though. :)

    [And although I have done grapefruit and oatmeal...I can't say I'm made it to pineapple...shall we try a little mango next?]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look so refreshing ! I cant w8 to try this !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing information about Coconut-Grapefruit Oatmeal with Pineapple,delicious recipe.I am going to bookmark it and hope that you will be sharing some really good posts there.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?